Relevant background research
- Hazards of sedentary:https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2996155/
- If standing and slight movement can reduce the damage of sedentary https://www.juststand.org/the-facts/ & https://thewholeu.uw.edu/2019/07/15/sitting-disease/
- Why sedentary people don't exercise https://www.verywellfit.com/why-arent-you-motivated-to-exercise-1231389
- The acceptance level of wearable devices https://www.researchgate.net/publication/305892154TheAcceptanceofSmartWearableDevicesthroughHealthCognitive & https://www.researchgate.net/publication/283908240UseracceptanceofwearabledevicesAnextendedperspectiveofperceivedvalue
- motivation for standing up and moving
- All are an incentive and cannot be effectively translated into long-term practical action
This week I mainly focused on determining user wearable devices through user surveys and determining an interesting interaction between user attachments and base stations.
The main purpose of designing an user survey is to investigate which interaction method the user prefers in clothes patches, bracelets / watches and headscarves (or other). Considering that my main concept is to face personal users who work at home alone, therefore, they tend to wear more casually when sitting for a long time. In the questionnaire survey, I will focus on understanding the users working/studying environment and figure out what kind of wearable items users can accept in the home environment.
Result of questionnaire
Based on the results of the survey, I finally decided to use a bracelet as the user wearable device.
How to achieve the interaction between users and base stations bracelet, and let this interactive fun and effective.
The position of the base station is fixed, and the bracelet can move with the user.The purpose of using a base station is that when the user sits for a long time (every 30 minutes)(how to trigger?), The base station will react ( for now is making a harsh noise) to force the user to leave the table. When the user leaves the table far enough, the noise will stop and enter the cooling cooldown(2-5 minutes). Returning to the table before the cooldown has not ended will trigger the noise again. Only after the cooldown ends (wristband gives feedback), the user can return to the table, and the base station counts down to zero and starts a new cycle.
work to do
How should the user interact with the bracelet?
From current point of view, the biggest problem currently encountered in the user interaction part is how to achieve the information interaction between the wearable device and the base station.
Points to note when using the bracelet:
The size of the bracelet
The elasticity of the bracelet: whether it will affect the user experience
There should be as few parts as possible on the bracelet