Week 10 Session 1

Chuike Lee - Sun 21 June 2020, 9:27 pm
Modified: Sun 21 June 2020, 9:28 pm

Going over the appraisals and further comments received there are two main considerations going forward to improve the concept as well as the overall user experience with Interactive Colour-Mixing Carpet (ICMC). The first to consider is the primary colour code standard being used by this concept and secondly, the nature and impact of the glove interaction.

The concept is being developed with Unity3D and Arduino. I have adopted the standard additive primary colours of using light red, green blue, (more frequently referred to as RGB). Initially this would be an easier way of implementing the prototype of ICMC because the Virtual Colour Mixer component that is apart of the Arduino IDE package uses this standard. Also, it was much easier to find tutorials that uses RGB averaging to mix colours in Unity3D. However I feel this was a major oversight on my part. I started focusing on what resources a re available to develop the prototype when instead I should have maintained considerations for the users and the findings from initial research.

Some of the initial findings indicated that children felt more creative and engaged their imagination when playing with colours more specifically, colouring and painting. This was informed from the initial round of cultural probes to inform the collective group effort and approach to creative learning. The individual direction of ICMC is introducing colour theory to Year 1 students (or children ages 4-6) in a playful an open-ended interaction sort of way. It pulls from the finger painting activity that is popular among that age group.

That said, let me bring this mistake I made full circle. The RGB are standard additive colour of light. It is still colour-mixing but really, as informed by interviews, observations, literature reviews and cultural probes responses, this standard of colour mixing does not appeal to this young target audience. Parents mentioned in the interviews their children like interacting with bright colours, and that they like painting. The primary colours I should be focusing on are Red, Yellow, and Blue. As determined by the image below.



The feedback in appraisals of the ICMC concept pointed this out thankfully. It was pretty easy I guess to have started focusing on the build of the prototype. That shift my focus on what resources were available but this significantly impacted the concept achieving its goal of introducing colour theory to Year 1 students. Now, however, I am able to refocus on my target audience in a meaningful and effective way. Had this aspect of determining which standard of primary colours to use gone unnoticed, I can see the possibilities of significantly impacting the learning outcomes of the ICMC in a negative way.