Zoom went a lot better than I thought it would so that was a very welcomed surpirse!! While it is a little impersonal, we were all still able to effectively be critiqued, critique others and maintain active communication. At the end of the day, that is all that really matters.
I did feel some concepts were a little underdeveloped or lacking in effective conveyal. This may have been due to a non-conformance to the studio theme, a basic interaction approach or an ambiguous purpose. However, there were still some really innovative and novel ideas that were pitched by other teams this week!!
I had a serious appreciation for concepts that targeted users with accessibility requirements such as team Hedgehog. This team pitched a concept that upholds the studio theme of "designing for playful and open-ended interactions for use in everday life". The target users were individuals with visual impairments and as a result, the team reimagined a game approach which caters to and normalises the needs of this demographic. A very thoughtful and promising concept!!
Our team was happy with how our pitch went, and I believe we effectively conveyed the domain, problem space and concept to our peers. The team was also prepared and approached the writing and video development of the pitch in a timely manner which I am very grateful for!!
After we pitched, we collected all of our critiques and had a meeting where we went through every critique and discussed recurring themes. We identified a need to better address an open-ended interaction approach, the potential for audio feedback and pushing for a more randomised approach to the colours made available to our users.
I think it was a combination of my appreciation for team hedgehog's concept and some critiques revolving around accessibility issues that sparked a potential individual design direction. Narrowing down the target user group to early primary school students who have colour perception difficulties/ blindness could be a very interesting design space to further pursue. Utilising audio and haptic feedback could be an effective means to translate colour theory into something relatable for this user group.
Another possible individual direction relates to the emotional intelligence subset of colour theory. Focusing on which colours relate to which emotion could be a promising concept for young users and provide further relevance for teaching colour theory.
I would like to do some more research into colour blindness/ sensitivity and colour used as an emotional tool before I commit to my individual direction. However, to date those are the two possible design directions I am interested in furter developing. We will see where my research takes me!!
My team have started on the report. After our team meetings we decided on what will be our individual contributions and when we want this completed by. The team decided that we wanted the team section of the report completed by the 1st of April and the individual sections completed by the 7th. This gives us two days to edit and revise any issues that may arise.
So far, I have finished a decent portion of my sections of the 'team' portion and need to collaborate a little with another team mate to polish it off. Now, I have to do some further research into the Australian Curriculum, emotional intelligence as relevant to colour theory and designing for individuals with colour perception accessibility needs.