We spent a lot of time working on our video, and at the time it seemed that we were explaining our idea well and covering everything we needed to. Based on feedback, as well as seeing other teams' pitches, it seems like we actually have a lot more work to do in refining our concept.
In terms of positive comments, a lot of people liked that our idea was creative and playful, and made use of everyday items, which made it affordable and available to most people. However, it was also pointed out that the concept as it was presented could become annoying over time, if the object made sounds every time it was used, and it would also annoy other people in the area. It was also made clear through comments that our ideas for the intended use were too open-ended, as we got some questions such as what was the point of the interaction, does it just create random sounds, are the sounds used in the video representative of the final intended product, and so on. It became pretty clear that we hadn't fully thought through our concept, and this pitch proposal was a good way to get feedback on the areas our concept was not yet addressing.
Based on the feedback we received, we spent the rest of the week researching and discussing specific contexts of use, and user groups we should target, as a way of narrowing down the intended goal of interaction. We ultimately decided to focus on objects that can be used to help educate primary school children in a classroom setting, as we felt this had a clear context and user group, while still having a wide range of possible directions to go in.
I was really interested in the range of ideas that other teams came up with. Some seemed really well thought out, with lots of background research already done and a clear idea of the product, the context of use, and the intended users. It was a bit of a relief to also see other teams who, like us, hadn't thought through every aspect of their concept just yet, and still had important issues to address. I'm looking forward to the next studio sessions, where we'll hopefully get to see how some of the other teams have incorporated feedback and developed their ideas further.
I've found the transition to online classes surprisingly much more difficult than I thought. In just one week I've learned that I actually lack a lot of self-discipline, especially if the pressure of being in a physical location at a certain time is removed. This is definitely a skill I will need to work on over the coming weeks, and hopefully by the end of it I will be able to say that this is another skill I've been able to learn this semester.